Monday, May 17, 2010

Today’s Question: Guilty Pleasures

Thinking about finales the other day reminded me of one of the most surprising. “Degrassi Junior High” ended with the school burning down.

Of course, the next year, everyone was back for “Degrassi High,” but I’m not sure people knew that at the time.

I started watching “Degrassi” a few years ago when the series was released on DVD, and review after review said, essentially, “This show is great, and still holds up.”

Does it? I think so, if you grew up in the 80s. My spouse and I flew through all five seasons of the show, and then decided, hey, why not see what’s up with the NEW show, “Degrassi: The Next Generation?”

The answer is, it starts out pretty well, dealing with the problems kids today face in pretty honest terms. Then, somewhere around year six, it got a liiittle more soap-opera-like, because frankly they were out of terrible things that could happen to teens.

But I (and my spouse) continue to watch it because we enjoy the characters.

So: What’s your guilty TV pleasure?

No comments:

Post a Comment